Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Every little girl wants to be a princess... I wonder why?

Jane Austen wrote a total of six novels, each revolving around the life of a poor yet resourceful heroine. Yet there is only one ending. The young protagonist finds true love and marries the man of her dreams. And we assume that, just like every Disney princess, Austen's heroine lives happily ever after.

So I'm not quite sure what I'm trying to get at... But it makes me wonder. After all these years of mind-numbing propoganda that one day my very own Prince Charming will come to sweep me off of my feet... Is it time to let go of those childhood ideals? Or is it okay to keep on beliving in fairytales and that one day I'll meet the man of my dreams and have my own happily ever after?

Who knows. This is what comes of watching too much tv. Northanger Abbey comes on and then I start thinking about other Austen novels. Then I see patterns. And of course it always leads back to conversations of love and relationships. I could do Carrie just fine.

No comments: