Thursday, December 11, 2008

Shalom: Ramblings from Israel

The man in the moon looks the same from here. Or maybe I've forgotten what he looks like at home. Sometimes I even forget what home looks like. But then again I've never really considered one specific place to be home.

I've only been a couple of days in Israel, but already I'm starting to feel comfortable. I have yet to decide on an explanation for that (because, of course, my analytical mind will not stop until a reason is found). Maybe it's due to the fact I've not only become jaded in my "real time" life, but in my travels as well. Nothing manages to excite or thrill me anymore. Another country, another scenery, just another notch on the bedpost. I envy those who look at life as if everything is new again.

Then my emotions take over. That dark, insecure, female side. I let myself wonder if maybe the reason I feel so comfortable is that I am in the exact place I should be at this exact moment in time. And that's when I start to doubt myself. We all know when we want something so badly we are willing to believe anything, to see only what we want to see. It's impractical. It's illogical. It's wishful thinking. But just what if?

Aside from my need to question and understand everything, Israel is a beautiful country (from what I've seen so far). Though I haven't been to many places yet, I feel as though I have stepped outside from a generic, colourless, and sterile world into a place that breathes life. The sunsets are so vivid and everywhere you go orange blossoms grows in abundance. You've never smelled anything until you've smelled fresh orange blossom. Not to mention the orchards in the kibbutz. Fragrant oranges, mandarins, tangerines, grapefruit, avacado - as far as the eye can see. And the sun, just touching everything with its warm golden glow.

How nauseating was that passage, eh? I feel as if I am waxing like a person in love - this was lovely, and that was lovely, and everything was just perfect. But... We'll see how long these rose-coloured glasses can shield my weary, skeptical eyes.

No comments: