Thursday, December 4, 2008

Life in the Linear

Do you stick to the straight and narrow or do you veer off the beaten path and take the road less travelled? Being the random and sometimes erratic girl that I am, I am definitely in favour of blazing your own twisted, winding trail, but who's to say what the best method is?

I will the be the first to admit, I envy those who can walk a straight line without veering off this way or that. I like the idea that you have an end in sight, a goal, a plan, a means of getting there. One foot in front of the other, knowing exactly where the next step will take you. There are no surprises for you. You know what to expect. Everything is stable.

But is it worth it to give up that excitement to feel just comfortable all the time? I don't think I could live following one path all my life. There are too many twists and turns and unexpected forks in the road that you absolutely cannot plan for. I crave adventure - always exploring, uncovering the unknown, discovering new ideas. I am not afraid to leave my future in the hands of fate. It's the unpredictability, the curve balls, the random forks in the road, that make life the dynamic, beautiful thing that it is. It's like my favourite architect, Antonio Gaudi, once said: the greatest architect ever (God) never used straight lines so why should I?.

So I look at it this way, maybe I'll never have that nice condo which I've saved years for. Or maybe I'll never work that stable job that feels like a second home to me. Maybe I'll never meet that someone who I come home to everyday. You can insert here any one of those goals that many acquire along the linear path. But does that really matter in the end?

No comments: