Friday, November 14, 2008

The Long Canadian Winter

I am slowly going crazy here in Canada. A case of cabin fever? Maybe. This morning I awoke to a vision of grey skies. Clouds as far as the eye could see. I waited all day for the sun, but it never seems to surface anymore, and when it does it sets earlier and earlier. Thank God for artificial light. I feel as though I haven't seen sunlight since my days in Mexico, though we surely must have had some sun during the month of September. But of course the grey has been with us for so long that I cannot remember a day without it.

My circadian rhythm is completely bunked. I work late then stay up til the wee hours of the morning pondering what my next step will be. And there is still no light by the time I shut my eyes and wander into a dreamless rem cycle. The morning does not bring much hope as my eyes flutter open to dark, grey, cloudy skies. I should really get some curtains for that window. I cannot even tell if I am waking in the morning or the late afternoon. All day long the skies remain a constant drear. I suspect, however, it is closer to late afternoon as I start to feel my body adapting to my vampish ways.

Every year I try to prepare myself for these eight long months, yet I am never ready when it comes. We do what it takes to survive this harsh season, but some of us don't make it. It's a classic tale of man versus nature and sometimes I'd wager that nature has the upper hand in this cold Canadian wilderness. This year, however, I vow to come out on top. Only 218 days left...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seasonal depression time!