Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ramblings for human rights!

So there has been a clip circulating the internet about the approved ban on gay marriages in California. I don't normally comment on what is going on in the world. Actually I have no idea what direction or theme this blog has, but I thought today would be a good day to share my opinion and hopefully hear from you (the singular person) who reads my blog.

I, for one, will admit that I don't believe homosexuality is "natural". I don't understand it or what purpose it may serve. You see, I am a loyal follower of evolutionary psychology theories - that all of our traits, behaviours, desires, urges, et cetera are based on the simple need of survival. The basic premise of keeping a species alive is reproducing. Men and women copulate in order to create offspring. (I assume the act of copulation was made to be enjoyable being that humans need to take as many chances as possible since they produce a mean litter number of approximately one thus reducing the chances of having surviving offspring.) Homosexuality, as far as I can see, does nothing for the survival of our species. In my eyes, it is not natural.

Is it wrong, however? Who am I to be the judge of that? How can I condemn others for being "unnatural"? Do we not all stray from what is innate and "God-given" in some form or another? I paint my face to mimic bigger eyes, poutier lips, more shapely cheek bones. Though they may not be of the same magnitude and completely different in every shape and form, they are both personal dispositions THAT IN NO WAY HARM OTHERS. Yes, I just compared putting on make up to being gay. But I think in a way my comparison emphasizes the triviality of the idea that being homosexual is wrong because it is unnatural. How does one's personal preferences affect other people's lives? It doesn't, unless you let it.

You can all go on looking for words of condemnation in your bible or scriptures or Torah or Koran or whatever holy book you want to conjure, but if you'll notice the one thing that spans all religions is that we do unto others as we would have others do unto us. Matthew 7:12, "All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do you even so to them." (Sorry I can't quote any other religious texts as I am not so well-read in the religious field). Jewish have the same saying, only in the negative. Do not do unto others as you would not have done unto you. Buddhists ask that we hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful. Muslims go so far as to say that one is not a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself. I'm sure you get the point.

So the big question is, would you want someone else telling you you can't get married?

No comments: